Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Liar Liar

I'm starting to have a serious problem with some mom blogs overtly lying about their stats. Or if not lying about them, fixing them to be misleadingly high. Clickyity click click, if you know what I mean.

If I get 4500 unique hits a month, and 30 000 page views (no, I didn't add an extra zero), there's something wrong. Especially when I'm just promoting my 30 000 "hits" and leaving out the all important 4500 unique visits a month. Big difference. Are they telling me that everyone loves their page so much they stop back 7 times a day for a page that's only updated once. Or that EVERY SINGLE DAY their loving followers visit 7 pages on their site (even though there's only 7 pages of posts in TOTAL)??!!?

I hate to break it to you honey, but review/giveaway blog visitors are generally there for one thing and one thing only...and it's not your incredible writing. They're not pouring through your pages devouring every nugget of wisdom you spout forth. They want your prizes. You know it. I know it. They know it. Yes, you will have some loyal readers, but not enough to account for the numbers you are offering up.

Nothing against giveaway blogs. I love them. Hell, I have one. Shhh.

But really, why do I care? Oh yes. Because the companies you mislead and screwover are going to hold a grudge against bloggers in general. They're going to tell their friends. Their friends are going to be hesitant to work with blogs to. Those friends have friends. You get the idea. You're a cancer that needs to be stopped.

Now I know many sponsors are smart enough to do their homework. The problem is many sponsors have had great past blogger experiences and are too trusting. Many are new to "Mom Blog" advertising, and wanting their business to succeed are jumping on the 30 000 hits bandwagon.

I want those businesses to succeed as well. That's why you NEED to be upfront about your stats. You need to stop being greedy. That's NOT what this is about.

Okay, that is a little bit what this is about. I'm being honest, right? There are reviews that I WANT, but don't get because my stats aren't impressive enough. Fair enough, I'll work on my reader base, and when it gets larger, I'll check back. But when I see one popping up on your blog. A review you had no business getting, it makes me mad. More than just a little bit.

1 comment:

  1. Help us poor lowly manufacturers! How do we know the "real" stats? I get asked often for product to do a review. For me, who, one pair of shoes takes more than a fraction of my day, to give so many away in return for questionable exposure, is more than too much sometimes? Especially just getting off the ground? Any wisdom? I'm on twitter also as kaboogie :-)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts!